Bipolar 1 Disorder is the more severe form of the illness. A sufferer will experience at least one full blown manic episode. These episodes will have longer highs & often feature psychotic experiences (hallucinations, delusions, distorted reality, strange/bizarre activities). These people are more likely to be hospitalized.
A full manic episode will usually last for over a week and include at least 3 of the following:
- Inflated self-esteem/ego, often with grandiose thoughts & ideas
- Much more talkative than usual
- Belief that thoughts are racing or prolific ideas
- Decreased need for sleep
- Can be easily distracted
- Increased goal-directed activity & possible recklessness in actions
- Excessive involvement in pleasurable/high risk activities (spending sprees, risky investments, gambling, sexual indiscretions, etc)
Please remember, if you feel you or someone you know are suffering from a mental illness of any form, please seek qualified medical advice ASAP!
The information contained in this blog can not be considered medical advice. These are only my own thoughts, feelings & ideas. If you or someone you know are having problems with mental illness please seek qualified medical advice.